TFE - Information For Field Mentors
Theological Field Education (TFE) at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary depends upon volunteer Field Mentors who supervise students during their ministry practicum. We are gratefully indebted to these men and women, who give at least one hour each week to meet with students during their practicum. If you are a current Field Mentor or desire to become one, the information found on this page will be helpful.
Qualifications for TFE Field Mentors:
A Field Mentor should be someone who:
• Already practices what the student wants to learn.
• Is able to teach the student how to do it.
• Has the needed theological background.
• Takes the time to meet for a supervisory session for an hour every week with the student
and understands that a supervisory session is not a staff meeting.
• Is committed to the student’s learning process.
• Is a safe person whom the student feels comfortable with in sharing transparently his/her
doubts, fears, failures, and insecurities, from both ministry experiences and personal life,
and whom he/she feels can help with any such problems.
• Successfully completes the GGBTS TFE-approved Field Mentor training.
• Keeps confidences.
• Participates in the student’s Evaluation Conference at the end of the course.
• Oversees only two interns at any given time.
Field Mentors may not be:
• A relative of the student.
• Another GGBTS student.
• The same person as the Student's Spiritual Formation Mentor
Field Mentor Files and Forms: